Cut Loose
Hula - Voice [REDLP 75 UK 1987 24-Bit 176.4kHz FLAC]
Always best to go out on a high I'd say (if you forget about a misplaced Voodoo Chile cover of course). Hula's final album, Voice is full of worthy highlights - it is a broodingly powerful & complex record, heavier on the technics and pounding beats than their previous. All that seems to be missing is a full-time bass player. Cut Me Loose and Poison are classic Hula compositions and the single versions will follow on soon, however it's the melodic and somehow haunting Cold Stare which gets me every time.
I've always though this record (produced by Daniel Miller) deserves much more attention & praise. Copies can still be found cheaply on the open market and whilst I am aware the industrial musical world was changing in 1987 (for the worst in my humble opinion), Hula had their place as one of the key acts from the genre. I fear this band's legacy is being ruined by those awful brick-walled compact disc reissues on Klanggalerie, I hope this run of recent Hula re-rips has helped restore their music as it should sound.
Thank you Sheffield.
A1 Give Me Money (Till It's Crawling Out Of My Face)
A2 See You Tomorrow
A3 Cut Me Loose
A4 Bush #2
B1 Cold Stare
B2 Clear Water
B3 Torn Silk
B4 Seven Sleepers
B5 Poison

I only just realised, after many of the Hula posts of yours, that they were on Red Rhino. As someone who lived in York for many years and bought much of my vinyl collection from Red Rhino Records, I am a bit embarrassed not to have known them better...
ReplyDeleteWhoa I can hear the bass in this rather than a loud bass-sounding fuzz. I A-B'ed 'Give Me Money' with the Austrian CD, that persuasion 1-2 after IMPACT hits in this version where on the CD it sounds like you've been tossed a couple of pillows. Thanks for this–very much a favorite record to the extent that my vinyl copy needs retirement
ReplyDeleteWOW
ReplyDeleteMore Hula
And what quality
Cheers