Country Death Songs
Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground [SLAP 1 UK 1984 24-Bit 176.4kHz FLAC]
The second album from Milwaukee's finest Violent Femmes probes away at the dark side of Americana using irony, blues, gospel, country, skiffle and good ol' rock'n'roll in their uniquely semi-acoustic way. For me personally this was their best work, moving beyond the punkier debut however that Violent Femmes stripped back sound remains the same, but with guest musicians including John Zorn adding brass, harmonicas and clarinets...... really it is all about that thick plucky Brian Ritchie bass.
This is an album which deliberately sets out to challenge with difficult subject matters from child murder through to voodoo whilst also poking fun at Christianity - this record is a close examination of American roots - whilst hopefully not enough to cause controversy (except in some quarters), it is certainly designed to make you sit up and take note.
A1 Country Death Song
A2 I Hear The Rain
A3 Never Tell
A4 Jesus Walking On The Water
A5 I Know It's True But I'm Sorry To Say
B1 Hallowed Ground
B2 Sweet Misery Blues
B3 Black Girls
B4 It's Gonna Rain

Thanks, blogmeister! I have the Craft reissue, which sounds quite good, but am really looking forward to your rip.
ReplyDeleteA sadly overlooked album. It has always been my favorite.
ReplyDeleteOh yes! one of my all-time fave bands, many thanks for share !!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the GREAT download!
ReplyDeletethank you! this was one of my favorite albums that year. and yes brian ritchie was central to the band's sound...that and the xylophone on i hear the rain! can't wait to hear your rip!
ReplyDelete...and your rip sounds beautiful, as anticipated. the music here is timeless. fresh to these ears 40 years in!
DeleteI'm gonna have to crack this one. Never heard this album, just some of their other songs. Thank s Blogmeister for the opportunity to hear it with clarity.
ReplyDeleteAnother aural gem
ReplyDeleteCheers mate
Thanks for this, sounds great. Think Gano's Christianity is genuine though, not mocking.
ReplyDeleteSaw them on this tour, I believe with Steve Mackay from the Stooges 'Funhouse' on the horns of a dilemma. Hoochie Coochie club, Edinburgh. One of the best gigs I ever have attended. The crowd was in rapid appreciation by the time it got to the encores. I was 17, and awestruck!