Return To The Garden Of Antipodean Delights

 

Dead Can Dance - Garden Of The Arcane Delights [BAD 408 UK 1984 24-Bit 176.4kHz FLAC]

There have been quite a few tears on social media media recently when it slipped out that Dead Can Dance were no more (again), so for all those who don't feel damaged by the fact that Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry will never perform together again, it is time to re-appreciate one of their finest early works, and let them enjoy their musical retirement in peace.

An old price sticker which I removed from the sleeve and placed on the inner bag carbon dates my purchase to late summer 1984 at my old vinyl haunt, Record Corner in leafy Surrey. This really is an old gem from my college days which I likely heard for the first time on Peel.

This is their only single (more an EP) which snuck out shortly after the debut album and bridges the gap, like the missing link between Joy Division & The Cocteau Twins, from the old to the new, more wordly Dead Can Dance. There is no doubt that both Perry and Gerrard have amazing voices, Perry sounding very much like Scott Walker (or is that Neil Diamond, Nick?), whereas Gerrard has an amazing vocal range, very well documented on her highly successful film score work. 

I've been lucky to see them live, they were great, but not enough to make me bleat & blubber all over Facebook.The problem was that they were just too pretentious for their own good and regularly disappeared up the arseholes of self-importance. There ....I've said it, DCD were more wanky than arty, if that hurts your feelings, then I am sorry...you are reading the wrong blog. 

A1 Carnival Of Light
A2 In Power We Entrust The Love Advocated
B1 The Arcane
B2 Flowers Of The Sea

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. They split??? 😮‍💨

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cheers me up knowing someone else shares my feelings about Dead Can Dance. This EP, however, hits the sweet spot. I wish they following this direction with percussion instead of what they became. My favorite release of theirs by miles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly - close your eyes and Brendan IS Neil Diamond - at least if Neil started writing in the eighties and signed to 4AD! The Scott is strong in this one as well. Thanks for a new rip: this is some of my favourite DCD, wnaky and arty and all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When and where have their split been announced ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment