Golden Slumbers & The Smiley-Faced EQ
The Beatles - Abbey Road [MFSL 1-023 USA 1980 24-Bit 176.4kHz FLAC]
Originally released on Apple Records in 1969.
Cut at half-speed from allegedly an EQ'd American safety copy by Stan Ricker, the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Beatles reissues have proved to be somewhat controversial. I won't go into a lot of detail because this version of The Beatles eleventh studio album is wrapped in veil of forgetfulness and denial. After all, how can an American safety copy of the original master be deemed as an Original Master Recording. There was a very expensive MOFI boxed set a few years later which was 'allegedly' cut from the original UK masters.
I was intrigued by the story (and its many versions) but what we do know is that this pressing was made in Japan onto super quiet JVC opaque vinyl. Stan Ricker's MOFI remaster is not just EQ'd, I understand he also applied some compression.The playback when I ripped this album a few days ago was incredibly quiet, so after applying a few more notches in the db, expect to hear this album totally differently to the wider known releases with plenty of emphasis on the lower end with occasional sparkling highs.
You can still pick this album quite cheaply these days - mine came from a well known large store in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco last summer for not much more than forty dollars and was probably worth the investment.
It certainly sounds different!
A1 Come Together
A2 Something
A3 Maxwell's Silver Hammer
A4 Oh! Darling
A5 Octopus's Garden
A6 I Want You (She's So Heavy)
B1 Here Comes The Sun
B2 Because
B3 You Never Give Me Your Money
B4 Sun King
B5 Mean Mr. Mustard
B6 Polythene Pam
B7 She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
B8 Golden Slumbers
B9 Carry That Weight
B10 The End
B11 Her Majesty

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this, my niece is a huge Beatles fan and will enjoy listening to this.
DeleteThank you for this one.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this one.
ReplyDeleteThanks again! Looking forward to hearing this one and comparing to other remasters.
ReplyDeleteIt seems MFSL have always been kind of a rip-off label.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'll have to look up who this Beatles band is. I think they mis-spelled their name actually. ....but on the serious side, thanks for the rip, I look forward to comparing! .....ps, I found this teardrop shaped bass guitar recently with initials PMcC on it. Couldn't figured out who it belonged to so I put it back. OK, I'll stop now.
ReplyDeleteCheers, I haven't heard this particular version in a long time, so I am particularly excited to listen to your new rip, Many Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThank You
ReplyDeleteAlways great to hear another pressing of Abbey Road ...definitely unique. The Blue Box version, which was ripped by Dr. Ebbetts is still the holy grail. EMI had a better source than MFSL ...what else is new, right?!
ReplyDelete