Jam Packed

 

The Jam - All Around The World [2058 903 UK 1977 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

Kicking off a splurge of Jam non-album singles from original UK pressings. All Around The World was their second single and is revered as marking the move from punk/new wave into Mod'ism. No more so than on the hip-flip Carnaby Street written and sung by Bruce Foxton.

A1 All Around The World 
B1 Carnaby Street



The Jam - News Of The World [2058 995 UK 1978 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

This Bruce Foxton composition was never that well received at the time, however in my opinion it is a Jam classic and following its use as a TV theme in the UK, I can only hope that Foxton still gets the revenues he deserves. 

For the initiated, until just a few years ago News Of The World was a British tabloid Sunday newspaper which fed the gutter-public hunger for gossip and scandal. Owned by dirty digger, Rupert Murdoch, it had to close when the paper itself became the news and scandal broke out when it was revealed that journalists were hacking the phones of politicians, celebrities ....and sadly, murdered teenagers.

A1 News Of The World 
B1 Aunties And Uncles (Impulsive Youths) 
B2 Innocent Man



The Jam - Strange Town [POSP 34 UK 1979 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

One of Weller's finest backed with one of the greatest b-sides of all time, now how often have I said that on these pages?

A1 Strange Town 
B1 The Butterfly Collector



The Jam - When You're Young [POSP 69 UK 1979 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

One of the first singles I ever bought, cleaned up and ripped here in glorious high res. There is a smidgen of crackle in places but I think it still sounds great. Weller's dedication to youth is backed with the full band version of Foxton's Smithers-Jones.

A1 When You're Young
B1 Smithers-Jones



The Jam - Going Underground [2x7" POSPJ 113 UK 1980 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

The kids wanted hits and hits is what they got. Another Jam non-album single, and likely their biggest backed with the psyche-mod gem The Dreams Of Children. This original UK pressing came with a bonus 7" of live tracks recorded at The Rainbow in London during November 1979. In a shrewd move, the US market got Going Underground as a bonus 7" in limited quantities with the Sound Affects LP.

A1 Going Underground 
B1 The Dreams Of Children 
C1 Away From The Numbers (Live) 
C2 The Modern World (Live) 
D1 Down In The Tube Station At Midnight (Live)



The Jam - Funeral Pyre [POSP 257 UK 1981 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

Down in amongst the streets tonight
Books will burn, people laugh and cry in their turmoil
(Turmoil turns rejoiceful)
Shed your fears and lose your guilt
Tonight we burn responsibility in the fire
We'll watch the flames grow higher
But if you get too burnt, you can't come back home
And as I was standing by the edge
I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing
(And the flames grew)
Their mad eyes bulged, their flushed faces said
The weak get crushed as the strong grow stronger

We feast on flesh and drink on blood
Live by fear and despise love in a crises
(What with today's high prices)
Bring some paper and bring some wood
Bring what's left of all your love for the fire
We'll watch the flames grow higher!
But if you get too burnt, you can't come back home
And as I was standing by the edge
I could see the faces of those who led pissing themselves laughing
(And the flames grew)
Their mad eyes bulged their flushed faces said
The weak get crushed as the strong grow stronger

In the funeral pyre
We'll watch the flames grow higher
But if you get too burnt, you can't come back home
In the funeral pyre
We'll watch the flames grow higher
But if you get too burnt, you can't come back home
In the funeral pyre
We'll watch the flames grow higher
But if you get too burnt, you can't come back home
In the funeral pyre

When I feel so young, well I just can't grow up to meet the demands
When I feel so old, when I feel so young
Well, I just can't grow up to meet their demands
Well, I just can't grow up to meet their demands

A1 Funeral Pyre
B1 Disguises



The Jam ‎- Absolute Beginners [POSP 350 UK 1981 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

A Weller dedication to the hip novel by Colin MacInnes, set in the streets of a late fifties London where youth culture was beginning to find its feet. I suppose if the book (and movie) was written today it would just have to be called Absolute Millennials or Absolute Snowflakes and feature the 'cast' of Love Island discovering the complexities of gender fluidity set to a backdrop of social media frenzy, moving along to the beat of auto-tuned talent-less personality pop stars. 

The original film version of the book was a badly conceived musical, let down by some wooden acting by Patsy Kensit & David Bowie, saved by a half decent soundtrack (on which Weller appears). Check out the flipside for another excellent Weller b-side.

A1 Absolute Beginners
B1 Tales From The Riverbank



The Jam - Town Called Malice / Precious [POSPX 400 UK 1982 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

Whilst Town Called Malice was The Jam's biggest commercial single (cleverly released as a live 12"), for me it was always about Precious, the double A-side which was released in its full six minutes on the 12". The track opened my eyes and my ears to so much more music. 

A1 Town Called Malice (Live)
AA Precious (Extended Version)



The Jam - The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow) [POSP 505 UK 1982 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

Weller goes sentimental and many original Jam fans shrug their shoulders in disbelief. This is not Woking's finest at his best and to be honest he did struggle writing decent singles in the later years of The Jam. It's not a bad song ...it's just not a great Jam song.

A1 The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow) 
B1 Pity Poor Alfie 
B2 Fever



The Jam - Beat Surrender [2x7" POSPJ 540 UK 1982 24-Bit 48kHz FLAC]

The last from The Jam was far from their best, but this double seven inch was great value. It gave the band another number one, however more likely for sentimental reasons. It's fascinating to look back and then realise the writing was very much on the wall from all the post-Town Called Malice singles onwards. I recall that Weller had already written A Solid Bond In Your Heart as a potential single, but in the end he chose to save that for his next project.

A1 Beat Surrender
B1 Shopping
C1 Move On Up
D1 Stoned Out Of My Mind
D2 War

....and that's your lot!

All these crackly original singles are as ripped an posted to the ESWA 2.0 board in 2018 and Needle Time in 2019.

Comments

  1. https://mega.nz/file/WYYX1ISa#ZC6cO7EccAWAfJ9j5D4Fr112UlmaczVB-JTaapl35YI

    This link will expire in just two weeks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola,

    They just sound great. What a bunch, whata way to start the day. Far better than these extrmlylow Foetus rips.
    The lattergave me the impression my neighbours would have read something like "Taste for Zeros".
    I have an Pro-Ject Evo to a Lehmann Pre-amp to a Cambridge Azur and usualy, with '12/45 like these I have to lower the impedance of the input.
    I agree that loudness is not all, but with less than -12db, does one not losen a lot of the dynamic gained with high resolution rips ?
    Well, if ever you come across a Lehmann phono-amp, give it a try.

    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawayfromthenumberssssssssssssssssssssss!

    best
    Gdo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the tip. I have upgraded my pre-amp twice since these were ripped and my current set-up is suitably adjustable. I don't have much time on my hands these days so it is unlikely these will ever be re-ripped using my better kit.

      Delete
  3. if ever, and don't judge a book by the cover : https://www.lehmannaudio.com/phono-stages/black-cube.html
    But, most important, we all have different ears and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much appreciated, blogmeister! Your blurb for Absolute Beginners is still making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb! Thanks a lot!
    Talking about the Foetus stuff, the ending comment "Enjoy or be offended" made my day, my week, my month, and all my fu***ng year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing, thank you. when it comes to vinyl rips there's nothing i appreciate more than the singles, largely forgotten...this was the way a great many people heard these songs back in their day. great excuse to get more into the jam, too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argh, I missed this by a few days. Any chance of a you-know-what?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment