In Limbo

 

Clan Of Xymox - Limbo [TRI 746 LP DEU 2022 24-Bit 176.4kHz FLAC]

Essentially just Ronny Moorings these days, the latest Clan Of Xymox album, Limbo, was originally released on digital formats last year. German label Trisol have now released it as a double album set on a limited edition of only 500 on vinyl. 

In my opinion, this is their best since Twist Of Shadows and finally allows us to forgive Moorings for those dodgy nineties releases which followed Twist in 1989. Whilst the sixty-one year old Dutchman has struggled to abandon the eyeliner and other visual trappings of eighties gothica, most fans of the original line-up should find these ten dark synthpop compositions to be an enjoyable listen.

Most certainly a lock down album, Limbo was recorded at Mooring's home studio in Leipzig, Germany and is laden with demonic yet surprisingly catchy tunes, no more so than the opening Brave New World and poppy The Great Reset. Pressed on nasty black & blue vinyl, the surface noise made this a challenging rip, however I think I've managed to coax a decent transfer from what is one of the noisiest records I have ever bought.

The second album is a compilation of remixes from the album, many of which hark back to those early 4AD years whilst also making the 'new' Xymox sound more reminiscent of Depeche Mode, New Order and The Pet Shop Boys. This album will never be as good as the first three Xymox albums as it misses the skillful orchestral touches of Pieter Nooten, but it does make for a good listen - those who know me of old will remember that I dislike remixes for the sake of a remix, however the Assemblage 23 remix of The Great Reset is a very enjoyable highlight on the second album.

A1 Brave New World
A2 Lockdown
A3 Big Brother
A4 The Great Reset
A5 Forgotten
B1 Limbo
B2 No Way Out
B3 In Control
B4 The Great Depression
B5 The One Percent
C1 Brave New World (Clan Of Xymox Remix)
C2 Lockdown (Sjöblom Remix)
C3 Brave New World (Matte Blvck Remix)
C4 Lockdown (Sine Remix)
C5 Brave New World (In.Visible Remix)
D1 Big Brother (John Fryer Remix)
D2 The Great Reset (Assemblage 23 Remix)
D3 Big Brother (Clan Of Xymox Remix)
D4 The Great Reset (DJ FN1 Remix)




Comments

  1. You need both of these:

    https://mega.nz/file/mQYRzZrY#d5xOL5YO077_wg2wDBijWJBUdWalkDRVGVtF8CXK3-4

    https://mega.nz/file/rdJSBIjQ#pvVdR4-uYiziFP8O7kUpdYwlloK0yrCOcunhRcGCvAg

    ReplyDelete
  2. never heard of it, but a TN rip is recommendation enough for me. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. This may sway me to see them live at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you kind sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fuck great reset and lockdown, and those slaves make the music

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *hope* Ronny's not being serious with some of the lyrics on this album. That's all I'll say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, mildly better than some of that 90's output........but I still go back to the first three albums....which incomparison are all completely different. A bit like listening to Inbetween Days at the time of release ...you know what I mean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the chance to listen to it before buying.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment