Victim Of Africa

 

Mdou Moctar ‎- Afrique Victime [OLE1614LP UK 2021 24-Bit 176.4kHz FLAC]

I will stick my neck out and proclaim Afrique Victime as one of the very best albums of 2021. I was never happy with my first rip about a year ago, I decided to run it through the HumminGuru and hear how much better it sounded. Prepare to be blown away!

Dressed in traditional robes, which would have the fanatical far right rushing for their M4 Carbines, Nigerien Mdou Moctor, real name Mahamadou Souleymane picks up his guitar and delivers a kaleidoscope of rock pyrotechnics, blending in atmospheric field recordings and traditional Nigerien folk rhythms & harmonies. The songs are in his native Taureg tongue, lyrically ladled (if you speak Taureg) with fierce criticism of the French colonial legacy in his native Niger (pronounced niʒɛʁ). 

This album was released in May 2021 on UK/US label Matador Records, mastered by the rather lovely Egyptian American Heba Kadry in New York and pressed by Optimal in Germany, 

Moctor's self confessed love of American rock is evident during his searing solos, the seven minute title tracks delivers blistering Fender solos which would make any rock head sit up and weep. This blend of styles give the whole album a heavy psychedelic edge however this album truly defies any attempt a genrefication. 

You really need to hear this record.

A1 Chismiten
A2 Taliat
A3 Ya Habibti
A4 Tala Tannam
A5 Untitled
B6 Asdikte Akal
B7 Layla
B8 Afrique Victime
B9 Bismilahi Atagah




Comments

  1. I have to agree on you praise for this release. Have you heard Mdou Moctar - Afrique Refait (2022) yet. Tremendous in an entirely different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this album -- thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool music, many thanks. I love African fusion music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Blogmeister !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Blogmeister !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't realised he was left-handed ... as all the best/worst people are...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    I have never heard of this person before, and am now richer for having heard him. Without your upload, I would probably never have heard of him and would not know what I was missing. I have now fallen down the rabbit hole. May I suggest a live show on YouTube:
    Mdou Moctar - "Live in Niamey, Niger"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFZobgLF5Vc&ab_channel=MdouMoctar

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Came here to post that same live set. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "tala tannam" convinced me to grab this one. thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment