The Crucial 3.1

 

The Teardrop Explodes ‎- Kilimanjaro [6359 035 UK 1981 24-Bit 88.2/176.4kHz FLAC]

The combination of a flimsy Mercury Records pressing and a dodgy production, especially on the two Langer & Winstanley hit singles, conspired to make this new rip of this new wave classic somewhat troublesome. Most of the rest was produced by Bill Drummond & David Balfe and they did a little better on some tracks. Some years back, I used the 1984 'mid-price' vinyl variant, this time I upgraded to the 1981 repress in what I (likely to great howls of despair) believe is the better second cover. I think that I've nailed it, so much so that it deserves a 176.4kHz version.

A1   Ha Ha I'm Drowning
A2   Sleeping Gas
A3   Treason
A4   Second Head
A5   Reward
A6   Poppies In The Field
B1   Went Crazy
B2   Brave Boys Keep Their Promises
B3   Bouncing Babies
B4   Books
B5   Thief Of Baghdad
B6   When I Dream

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of the best of the era, I count nine certified bangers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the efforts to provide a better sounding rip here..much appreciated ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Essential album. Many thanks for share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With you on the cover. But then again I prefer the darker, B&W sleeve for "Wilder". Thanks for the (upgraded) blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First and foremost thanks for this.
    FYI it is not just a matter of the sleeve cover, but rather the content within. The 1980 first issue (band cover) is my go-to copy as this was how the band originally intended the album to be heard. For the 1981 repress (zebra cover), 'Reward' was added, all the other tracks remixed and the album running order was re-sequenced. The remixes are not radicle, rather applying a bit of 'pop polish' to match 'Reward'. Whilst significantly 'When I Dream' became a 5:38 extended version compared to the 5:01 run time on the first press.
    BTW the US 1980 edition (band cover) had another running sequence and track selection - again including 'Reward' but with a unique longer intro.
    As this is a vinyl appreciation blog I won't bore everyone with the differences on CD but suffice to say that subsequent issues of the album substituted in an even longer version of 'When I Dream' running at 7:10 - making the version presented here difficult to find digitally!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment