Melt Your Veins
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters [APJ 084 USA 2021 24-Bit FLAC]
As it is a Sunday evening, you usually get some jazz, this week you get two jazz albums. Both in similar styles (funky & innovative), however they vary geographically and in the quality of the finished product. After Donald Byrd last week, it only seemed right that Herbie should follow next.
Good copies of Head Hunters are extremely difficult to find these days, with Music On vinyl swamping the market with substandard product. I originally had in mind a 1977 Japanese repress from my usual source of Japanese vinyl, however without an obi, such records are not really worth the investment. So for the some cost (around fifty quid), I happened upon this 2021 repress on Chad Kassem's Analogue Productions label, imported from the US.
This version is mastered from the original analogue reels and pressed onto superior quality vinyl in limited batches by Kassem's own Quality Record Pressings plant in Salina, Kansas. Unarguably, QRP are now one of the biggest and best pressing facilities in the US, where their attention to detail is unsurpassed.
You will likely never hear a better sounding pressing of this album.
A1 Chameleon
A2 Watermelon Man
B1 Sly
B2 Vein Melter
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMy fave HH album > surprised you decided to skip 176.4kHz. Nevertheless it would be nice to compare to 5 versions of album that I have > thnx! (Could Cobham's Spectrum be logical follower? ;)
ReplyDeleteI did give it some thought, however 'most' of my jazz posts have just been 88.2, so stuck with that. There is a lot of 'clear black space' over 50kHz (each channel) so that also influenced my decision.
DeleteSeeing this I realize I have never heard the entire album. Until now that is! Many thanks!
ReplyDeleteBrian
Thank you -- it will be nice to have an upgrade of this one :)
ReplyDeleteclassic! thank you
ReplyDelete