Different Colours, Brighter Shades

 

Joy Division - Still [FACT 40 UK 1981 24-Bit FLAC]

I notice from social media that 'Joy Division' are reissuing Still as a fortieth anniversary edition in, what looks like, a maroon sleeve on clear vinyl on February 11th - I make that a 40 years, four months and 3 day anniversary. Will I be buying it? Well no, I will not. I bought the original as a young lad of fifteen years in Manchester nearly forty years ago and feel no need whatsoever for a new pressing of unknown heritage on noisy, cheap clear vinyl - I am assuming this release will possibly be the Frank Arkwright 2015 digital remaster, regurgitated for the diehard collector (only 10,000 pressed!) or the new fans and the curious. 

You might well have realised by now, that I am losing interest in digitally mastered recordings pressed onto analogue & poor quality plastic. Perhaps if a company like MFSL or any of the many newer high quality labels had been offered that chance to master & press from the original analogue tapes onto superior vinyl and then present it as a high quality package, then perhaps my coffers would have been stirred.  

I have only ever ripped my original Factory Records copy once before (back in April 2020), since then I have a better cartridge on a pimped up turntable with a superior set-up. So how does it sound? Well, I am astonished, save for a few tiny blemishes, after a good clean (you should know the process now) - it sounds bloody wonderful. 

The soundstage is wide, intricate and detailed with plenty of umph in the lows, definition & space around the mids and just enough brightness in the highs. The live set (despite the flaws and tape drop-outs) puts you stage centre at the feet of Ian Curtis in Birmingham University High Hall on the evening of May 2nd 1980. Just check out Shadowplay, Transmission and the very wonderful New Dawn Fades.

All the tracks were produced by Martin Hannett, (including the powerful yet occasionally shambolic live set - you know - Decades! ) the original was tastefully mastered by Eddy Gorecki at The Townhouse, so there is really no need for Arkwright to screw about with it any more.

So then, what are you doing for the next 2.97 gigabytes?

A1  Exercise One
A2  Ice Age
A3  The Sound Of Music
A4  Glass
A5  The Only Mistake
B1  Walked In Line
B2  The Kill
B3  Something Must Break
B4  Dead Souls
B5  Sister Ray
C1  Ceremony
C2  Shadowplay
C3  Means To An End
C4  Passover
C5  New Dawn Fades
C6  Twenty Four Hours
D1  Transmission
D2  Disorder
D3  Isolation
D4  Decades
D5  Digital

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sir, indeed, super grateful. I know this will be a treat. I'm blessed with two good copies, but your hardware reigns supreme, so I'll enjoy this mightily. (and yeah what's up wit this red re-release. I though I was seeing a repeat, but I guess last time it was for Closer.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fave band ever

    Much loved and appreciated mate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment