Funk Around The Punk

 

Cortex - Vol.2 [TVLP10 FRA 2013 24-Bit FLAC]

Originally released on Disques EspĂ©rance in France during 1977.

Back in the mid-late eighties when I was expanding my musical tastes, I happened upon an original copy of this album in a Guildford second-hand record store. Attracted by the title of the second track on side one, I snapped it up for a song. That copy has sadly been sold on, however French label, Trad Vibe repressed it for the first time back in 2013 and after a bit of deliberation, I made a re-purchase.

This album is best known for the number of samples 'borrowed' by hip-hop artists in recent years. Hard to believe these young gangstas found inspiration from a couple of balding French guys complete with chest hairs & medallions, turning out jazzy lounge-funk. Just check out the immense work-out that is Hurluberlu and that superb bass on Datura.

Cortex are much revered in the nu-disco and the disco-edit scene these days, here's your chance to find out why.

A1 Devil’s Dance
A2 Funk Around The Punk
A3 Hurluberlu
A4 Soul
A5 Datura
B1 Poxa
B2 Regina
B3 Mister J.
B4 Efficace Swing
B5 Oh! Lord

Comments

  1. https://mega.nz/file/rMBwmbDI#-Z8nDWf971OAwA_ZUWFtZ1VaLUQwQSIKIRwyqi5z6Zg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment