Victime de Afrique

 

Mdou Moctar ‎- Afrique Victime [OLE 1614LP UK 2021 24-Bit FLAC]

Thank you for all the kind gestures and comments these last few days ....I can't tell you how much they are genuinely appreciated. Right then, time for something very different. I have a few African albums, generally the acknowledged classics and mostly on compact disc. This album is very different in many ways from all those, it is delivered from a purple platter, but could very well be added to that list of African classic albums.

Dressed in traditional robes, which would have all Trump fanatics rushing for their M4 Carbines, Nigerien Mdou Moctor, real name Mahamadou Souleymane picks up his guitar and delivers a kaleidoscope of rock pyrotechnics, blending in atmospheric field recordings and traditional Nigerien folk rhythms & harmonies. The songs are in his native Taureg tongue, lyrically ladled (if you speak Taureg) with fierce criticism of the French colonial legacy in his native Niger (pronounced niʒɛʁ). 

Moctor's self confessed love of American rock is evident during his searing solos, the seven minute title tracks delivers blistering Fender solos which would make any rock head sit up and weep. This blend of styles give the whole album a heavy psychedelic edge however this album truly defies any attempt a genrefication. 

You need to hear this record.

A1 Chismiten
A2 Taliat
A3 Ya Habibti
A4 Tala Tannam
A5 Untitled
B6 Asdikte Akal
B7 Layla
B8 Afrique Victime
B9 Bismilahi Atagah








Comments

  1. I wonder how long it will be before people stop believing the lie about Trump (or his followers) being intrinsically xenophobic. Anyway, thanks for the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will let those all over the world watching the events in Washington DC on January 6th 2021 make up their own minds.

      Enough politics ...more music coming soon.

      Delete
  2. Wow I was just reading some awesome write-ups on this release and here's a vinyl rip to check out! Thanks for the fresh rip of a fresh release. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to listening to all of this. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Just bought two tickets to their SF show on 28 Sept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh enjoy! Ask them to come my way, I'd really like to see them live.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I will, even if I have to ask in Tamacheq.

      Delete
    3. Sounds terrific! Thank you, Blogmeister!

      Delete
  5. thanks for this, i have seen some clips on Facebook and i was impressed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks BM. Maybe you should put up Floyd's "The Wall" for all those non-xenophobic T--- supporters out there.

    Lovin' your taste. Be well.


    Hamish

    ReplyDelete
  7. New rip:

    https://timeneedle.blogspot.com/2022/05/victim-of-africa.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment