Three Naughty Boys
Yellow Magic Orchestra - Naughty Boys [YLR-28008 JPN 1983 24-Bit FLAC]
Some more Haroumi "Harry" Hosono, this time with his two electronic partners, Ryuichi Sakamoto and Yukihiro Takahashi as the important Yellow Magic Orchestra. The cheekily named Naughty Boys was the trio's sixth album and you would be forgiven for assuming that this was a strictly pop album, despite the opening Japanese pop chart topping single, Kimi Ni Mune Kyun. As the album develops, YMO reveal more of their expected innovative edges, all developed with 'modern' eighties pop sentimentalities.
Not credited, but likely more involved than you may first think was one of Yorkshire's finest, Bill Nelson on guitar. The favour was returned when Yukihiro Takahashi and YMO synth technician (& Logic System main-man), Hideki Matsutake worked on Nelson's Chimera album. The two albums do have a similar feel, no more so than on the excellent Wild Ambitions.
I picked up this original Japanese pressing in another Shinjuku record store a few years back. Despite its age (and subsequent airmiles), the condition is close to perfect, and the pressing quality exactly as you would expect for a Japanese label, all in a durable thick card sleeve & inserts - note the positioning of Harry Hosono on the sleeve's essential obi strip and some awful dancing in the video below. Enjoy!
A1 Kimi Ni Mune Kyun (Uwaki Na Bakansu)
A2 Expected Way
A3 Focus
A4 Ongaku
A5 Opened My Eyes
B1 You've Got To Help Yourself (excerpt)
B2 Lotus Love
B3 Kai-Koh
B4 Expecting Rivers
B5 Wild Ambitions

https://mega.nz/file/XRogXbxQ#TKazMbS4EOQczNlTz9VvjLGByOGqzWDwvQryR11ysyM
ReplyDeleteThank you. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you !
ReplyDeleteThat video is so appalling that I couldnt stop watching it. I bought this album when it came out, but I have mixed feelings, too pop maybe?? Or am I just a Technodelic/BGM man? I took my best friend John to see Hosono play at The Old Market here in Brighton a few years back, an interestng visual experience as whilst we were waiting for the band to come on, in walks Takahashi with a large female entourage who sit at the back of us, John & I get excited thinking that Sakamoto wll be next (as he had played in London a few nights previous)and It's likely we might get a full YMO line up. Anyway, we sat through an extremely disappointing Jazz/Blues set with Hosono saying that if anyone who came to listen to electronics was in the audience, they were going to be unhappy as he doesn't have an interest in Electronics anymore.. John moaned throughout and I wished I'd taken my dad.
ReplyDeleteWell then, just for you ...actually your dad, there is some j-jazz up next ;-)
Delete"Ongaku" (music) kind of says it all. Beautiful. Maybe somebody else enjoys this later version as much as I do.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62ftqlTl74