For All The Saturday Kids
The Jam - Setting Sons [POLD 5028 UK 1979 24-Bit FLAC]
I grew up with The Jam, they were my first love in music. Setting Sons was my first album purchase, that copy is a bit worn these days, so after a reinvestment in a near mint original copy, I present a new 2021 rip of this wonderful ...and very British album. I am forever tweaking & improving my ripping set-up and this rip is powerful and dynamic - surface noise is hardly audible and you can almost hear Bruce Foxton's plectrum pluck those Rickenbacker bass strings.
Don't ask me to pick a favourite track, well okay then - The Eton Rifles will always stand out, as the young Weller's angry observations on the British class system ring true to this day. The only Bruce Foxton composition, Smithers- Jones predicts a future world where jobs & careers are discarded without remorse at the behest of market economics, and comes a close second. This album is almost faultless, I'll even forgive that cover of Heatwave.
Anyway, this fifty-four year old ripper has been jumping around the room like a fourteen year old during playback of this rip, perhaps some of you will be doing the same today. Enjoy!
A1 Girl On The Phone
A2 Thick As Thieves
A3 Private Hell
A4 Little Boy Soldiers
A5 Wasteland
B1 Burning Sky
B2 Smithers-Jones
B3 Saturdays Kids
B4 The Eton Rifles
B5 Heatwave

https://mega.nz/file/PIAEWZwT#hDEnDQ1cLQIPvabHHHYvPSW8oEnjHBnmXjzQcNMzdy8
ReplyDeleteOf course, I own this myself. But your "package insert" made my day!
DeleteThanks a lot for this. I've regarded myself as a huge Jam fan for years only on the strength of hearing Sound Affects and the immense, eerie beauty of "Carnation", without hearing anything else they've done. Further immersion is long, long overdue.
ReplyDeleteI'm the same age (54), and this was my first Jam album. They never got their due in the States, but this incendiary performance of "Private Hell" on US TV made a huge impression on me. https://youtu.be/AybWSdEbafA
ReplyDeleteThank you Blogmeister !
ReplyDeleteI have two years on you both, have the first pressing on vinyl bought in '79 in the basement and will be cranking this up! The Jam were peerless; they could simply do no wrong (including "Heatwave"!). The emptiness of "Smithers-Jones" haunts me to this day, being made redundant once or twice myself...
ReplyDeleteAgain, as another 'older' fan here, I was 19 when this came out and it reinforced just how good The Jam were after earlier releases. How the first John Peel sessions just leapt out of the radio at me is still a vivid memory !!
ReplyDeleteThanks and I am looking forward to giving this rip a blast.......
Thanks for another great share. This and Sound Affects were the sound of a band firing on all cylinders.
ReplyDeleteAs a 56 year old American yank, I can honestly say, I f******g love the Jam!!!!
ReplyDeleteThe first Jam LP I bought, in the year of first release. The first I lost too, do not lend your music out especially if it's favourite music. BM, as always, well done! Be well.
ReplyDeleteHamish
I'm a new Jam fan and haven't heard this yet. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI've got you mid-50's youngsters beat by a decade! I came to The Jam by way of a late night local radio program here in Canada that folded in the mid 1980's. I was not impressed at the time but over the years have picked up 'Sound Affects' and 'All Mod Cons' and greatly enjoy them both. I look forward to listening to this. Many thanks!
ReplyDelete-Brian