Non-Alignment Pact
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance [ROUGH 22 UK 1981 24-Bit FLAC]
Originally released on Blank Records (001) in 1978 and then Mercury Records in Europe and the UK that same year, this is the second UK release on Rough Trade Records in 1981.
The continual line-up changes in Pere Ubu over the years tell us that David Thomas could well be a difficult man to work with. Ripping this record turned out to be one hell of a job too, I began several years ago weeding out much of the background crackle caused by a flaw covering about a fifth of side two. I kept walking away from the wav files and at one stage literally gave up and almost deleted my rips - some of you may recall I did promise this rip back in the old ESWA blog days and eventually was able to share this on ESWA 2.0 in November 2017. My work is complete and here are the results of my restoration, to say I am quite pleased with it is quite an understatement. I have the reissue cd from 2005 as well but don't think the modern remastering does the album justice.
I've have always considered Pere Ubu as one of those bands you can just dip in and out of, I for one prefer this album, Dub Housing and the first of the second coming, The Tenement Year. Any album kicking off with a track like Non-Alignment Pact must be considered a classic. Enjoy.
A1 Non-Alignment Pact
A2 The Modern Dance
A3 Laughing
A4 Street Waves
A5 Chinese Radiation
B1 Life Stinks
B2 Real World
B3 Over My Head
B4 Sentimental Journey
B5 Humor Me

https://mega.nz/file/CZxhVI6Q#RRunhUGpH_DDZVYyKvCKVUBt3UwX6Z2lNu_O7zlsx14
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful album that never gets old. Go here (http://www.ubuprojex.com/facts/bugs.html) to find out why Pere Ubu hated vinyl. I prefer the 2005 CD myself, but thank you for providing the best possible version of early vinyl for comparison. I'm writing from the US and I have to share this footnote from the ubuprojex page because it feels so true:
ReplyDelete"America as a consumerist society is a recent transformation. Social engineers would have us believe otherwise. They are liars. As young men we had known the last days of the golden age firsthand. No amount of Orwellian history modification can alter that. As recently as the early 70s the middle class of America was routinely raised & encouraged to pursue spiritual and artistic goals ahead of other considerations."
Thank you !
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot.
ReplyDeleteBeauty mate
ReplyDeleteCheers